Blog

Household Items That Are Poisonous to Pets

Did you know that March 20-26 is Poison Prevention Week? This is a great time to talk about keeping your pet safe from dangerous toxins. Below, a Livonia, MI vet discusses some household items that are poisonous to our furry friends.

Antifreeze

Antifreeze is extremely toxic to pets. Unfortunately, it has a taste that many pets like. Mop up any spills immediately, and put sand or kitty litter down on the damp spots.

Medications

Human medicines are extremely dangerous to pets, and can even be fatal. Always keep medicine securely stored in cabinets, well out of reach of those little paws. This applies to both prescription and OTC drugs. Don’t think a childproof container will protect your pet: Fido has been known to chew them open.

Cleaning Agents

Many cleaning products, including bleach, ammonia, and other common cleaning agents, are poisonous to our furry friends. Keep your furbaby out of the room when using these. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!

Lawn/Garden Products

Herbicides, fungicides, and fertilizers are all very toxic to our four-legged friends. Fido or Fluffy could get sick just by walking through a recently treated yard! This is because pets can get chemicals on their paws and coat, and then ingest it by licking themselves. Mulch is another issue. Cocoa mulch is particularly dangerous, because it is toxic to pets. However, other types of mulch are also unsafe, as dogs could choke on the chips if they try to eat them.

Pesticides

Pesticides pose a serious risk to pets. Be very careful when using these chemicals, and try to use non-toxic methods whenever possible. This also holds true for insecticides and rodenticides.

Foods

Many of our favorite foods are poisonous to our furry friends. Some of the main ones to be aware of include chocolate; avocados; garlic, onions, and scallions; raw dough; caffeine; nuts; raisins, grapes, and currants; and alcohol. Xylitol, which is found in many processed foods, is also toxic to pets.

Tips

If you know or suspect that your pet has ingested poison, don’t wait to act. Contact your vet immediately. You can also call the ASPCA Pet Poison Helpline, which is 800-213-6680. (Please note: charges may apply.)

Do you have any questions or concerns about your pet’s health or care? Please contact us, your local Livonia, MI animal hospital, anytime. We are here to help!

Comments are closed.

Website Designed & Developed by DVMelite | All Rights Reserved | Login

Facebook

Twitter